You can’t beat a good old-fashioned chip. They go with everything and even as a snack on their own. This is a modern take which are oven-cooked.
- 750g Desirée potato (about 3 medium-large), peeled
- groundnut oil, for drizzling
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oven to its highest setting, ideally 250C.
- Cut each potato into 1cm-wide slices, then into 1cm-thick sticks.
- Blanch in a large pan of boiling water for 3 mins, then drain well.
- Shake the potatoes out onto a roasting pan, drizzle with oil, ensuring each chip is evenly coated, then season well.
- Bake for about 15-20 mins, turning the potatoes at least twice, until golden brown and crisp.