LEAKED: KFC Fried Chicken Recipe
The real KFC fried chicken recipe has been leaked
A few days ago I posted a recipe for fried chicken that I like to use on a regular basis because it doesn’t require many ingredients.
This recipe I found for authentic KFC chicken I came across about a year ago and I have tried it on two occasions and I have to say it is pretty damn close to the fast-food chain’s flavour.
When I make this version of fried chicken I usually cook smaller chicken breast pieces to make KFC style filet burgers. They are perfect for freezing and I usually make a batch of 10 to last me a couple of months.
- 10 chicken pieces (about 1.25kg), on the bone, skin on
- 300ml buttermilk (see below to make your own)
- 1-2 litres vegetable oil (depending on your pot)
For the coating:
- 270g plain flour
- 2/3 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/3 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp black Pepper
- 1 tsp dried mustard
- 4 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 3 tsp white pepper
Make your own buttermilk
Most supermarkets now stock buttermilk, but if you want to make your own, simply add 1 tbsp lemon juice or white wine vinegar to 250ml full-fat milk and set aside for 10 mins. It will curdle into a thick mixture, then it is ready to use.
- Double up on the 11 secret herbs & spices into 2 separate bowls.
- Coat the chicken pieces in 1 bowl and add buttermilk until the chicken is submerged completely. Cover & refrigerate overnight.
- In a large plastic or paper bag, add 270g of plain flour and the 11 herbs and spices.
- Drain the buttermilk off the chicken and place in the flour mixture bag. Toss your chicken in this and shake it until fully coated.
- Make sure you deep fat fryer is up to temperature, stirring the oil to ensure it is evenly heated. Fry until golden brown. (If your oil is clean you can fry the entire batch but if your oil is dirty, take your chicken out when the colour is what you want and then finish it off in the oven. It should take approximately 15-20 additional minutes at 200c)
The one caveat I need to point out is that KFC cook their chicken in pressurised deep fat fryers with oil pumps to regulate the temperature.
After cooling, clean the oil by pouring it through a funnel with a fabric coffee filter in it into a bowel. This will remove most of the flour and debris from the oil.